Monday, April 9, 2012

He is Risen

Well... another holiday away from family and friends, and another experience unlike none other... Holy Week in the Philippines.  The Philippines is an overwhelmingly Catholic country (more than 80%).  It is also a country that is controlled by tradition and culture.   I often find myself struggling to understand different aspects of the culture here.  Not because I think they are wrong or bad, but just so different from what I know.  Many times when I ask, "why?", the answer is, "because that's how it's always been done".  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?!?  But what if it's not just broke... it's millions of people without the truth of who Jesus is, and what He did for us on the cross.  

                                                                   Check out this video.


This past week on Maundy Thursday, I had the opportunity to observe a tradition called, "Alay Lakad".  Every year close to a million people walk 5, 10, some even 20+ miles to a church in Antipolo.  This church houses a statue of Mary.  They walk believing that with every step they are paying penance for their sins.   I was overwhelmed by this sight.  I could not believe the number of people, I could not believe the amount of miles walked, and I could not believe their eyes were fixed on a statue of Mary.  That the driving force, the reason they were punishing their bodies and participating in this pilgrimage was based on a lie. 

Jess is a Journeyman here with the IMB and wrote an excellant post describing our experience. 


As much as it broke my heart to see, I can't help but think... is it any different in America?  Were millions of Easter baskets and plastic eggs worshipped instead of a statue of Mary?  There may not have been a mass pilgrimage, but how many hours were spent searching for eggs under bushes?  Not that simple Easter traditions are bad... that isn't my point, but where is our hearts focus?

Our enemy uses subtle tactics to turn our heads... often that shift is so slight that we don't notice.  Maybe we are looking at the chin or shoulder of Jesus...instead of full on His face.  It's just enough though... and before we realize it we are elbow deep in pastel egg dye.  This is millions of people who know the name of Jesus.  They know the story of the cross, but they are deceived just enough to miss the best part.  IT. IS. FINISHED.  The debt has been paid.  The stone has been rolled away and Jesus is victoriously sitting at the right hand of the Father inviting us into a personal relationship.  A relationship free from works of obligation or "penance".  A relationship full of grace and love.   

I wonder how many times I have missed "it".  Unfortunately, I think it's probably too many to count.  I long for a true understanding of who Christ is... to know Him intimately.  To look full on His wonderful face, and walk away from the chains of deception.  I desperately want each of you to have this also... and oh how my heart aches for my Filippino brothers and sisters to experience the living God. 

Will you pray?  Pray for the truth of the Gospel to spread throughout the Philippines.  Pray that this country would grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  (2 Peter 3:18) and while we are at it... let's pray for our own eyes to see our need for Him.





 

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine that watching that pilgrimage would just be a strong reminder of how much Jesus has done for us! We don't have to do that, Praise God.

    ReplyDelete