Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A loooong overdue update

So.  Here's a news flash... I'm not very good at blogging. :)  I have great intentions, but every time I sit down to update I get distracted.  Well... not this time.  Here is a overview of my 2012 in the Philippines.

January:
A team of students from SBU came to minister with us.  I met with the team several times last fall before leaving the states and I had travelled with several of the team members to the Philippines in the past.  Add to that the fact that one of my mentors and dear friends was the leader of the team!  Needless to say,  I was really looking forward to their arrival!  Like my past trips here we spent most of our time out in the Quezon Province travelling to different churches and barangays.  A new highlight of the trip was the 4 days spent back in Manila.  The team came to the subdivision and led kids group, had fun activities with the youth, and distributed Tagalog Bibles in the area behind the subdivision.   It was so good to have them here.  I loved seeing familiar faces, speaking in english, and getting lots of hugs.  I was also so blessed to see the team quickly fall in love with my new friends here and a country that is so close to my heart.
Sweet faces

SBU Team with one of the churches we visited

My friend Jordan...such an encourager to me.

The night before they left...what a crazy group!

February:
We had taken a break throughout the holidays from the weekly activities at the house, and in the first part of Feb. we started back in full swing.  Here are some fun pictures from Kids Group and Girls Group throughout the month of Feb.
Playing spoons!
Remember hair wraps?  Still awesome.
Baking night at Girls Group! We made biscuits... a first for the girls!
Kids Group Craft
Valentines Party

Having fun a Kids Group!

The first month I arrived here the youth learned a hand mime presentation to the song "Worthy is the Lamb".  In February they were having their barangay fiesta and wanted to perform.  They put in a lot of hard work and hours of practice and they did a fantastic job. 100's of people were presented the gospel message in a very creative way.


The youth have also been learning how to lead their family and friends in studying the Word.  Using a booklet that Greg created, they have been sharing stories about Jesus with many people.   They were encouraged to share with 25 people total over the first week... They shared with MANY more than that!  It is exciting and encouraging to see them stepping outside of their comfort zones and sharing the name of Jesus with their neighbors.
The youth with the list of people they have shared with (it has MANY more names on it now!)

Practicing teaching from the booklets

Ice Cream at 7-11 to celebrate a job well done!



I also got to attent a cultural show that had dances that represented different areas of the Philippines.  It was awesome!


We partnered with a Basketball ministry and spent the day behind the subdivision.  The ministry travels with a Jeepney that has a basketball goal attached to it.  (sadly, I don't have a picture)  They host a slam dunk contest, 3 on 3 games, and a free throw shooting contest.  They set up big speakers and play fun music.  They use the "Colored bracelet" way of sharing the Gospel (black, white, red, green, yellow), in addition to the bracelets they use basketballs with the different colors.   It was a fun (and very hot) day.  It's starting to get hotter here (I just thought it was hot before), and I've been told by many that it it still isn't "summer weather" here yet! 
Slam Dunk contest for the kids

The kids drawing in the court with chalk 


The Harvell's have continued to host a church service in their home every week and two weeks ago we moved to 2 services a week to make room for all who are attending.  On Friday nights the adults meet, and Saturday nights the youth meet.   It is a sweet time of worship and teaching.  Even though I can't understand much of the service (Greg and Jill lead them in Tagalog) I enjoy the fellowship and I know that my Spirit is being fed. 

The Lord continues to show Himself faithful.  He continues to pour out love, kindness, and grace upon me every moment of the day.  He is gently teaching me to trust Him and I am learning to place my hope in Him alone.

7[Most] blessed is the man who believes in, trusts in, and relies on the Lord, and whose hope and confidence the Lord is. 8For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters that spreads out its roots by the river; and it shall not see and fear when heat comes; but its leaf shall be green. It shall not be anxious and full of care in the year of drought, nor shall it cease yielding fruit.
Jeremiah 17:7-8 AMP


No comments:

Post a Comment